I am an Assistant Professor and Director of the Master Degree in Data Science at the Data Science Institute (IDS), School of Engineering, Universidad del Desarrollo, Chile. Besides, I am an external faculty at the Northwestern Institute on Complex Systems (NICO), Northwestern University. Creator of lixandria.
Previously, I hold a Postdoctoral position at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. I conducted my Ph.D. research at the MIT Media Lab (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), at the Center for Complex Networks Research (Northeastern and Harvard University), and at the Center for Social Complexity, (CICS) (Universidad del Desarrollo). I also hold a master of science in Physics, a Bachelor of Science in Physics, and a Physics Engineering professional title from Universidad de Concepción, Chile.
My work stands on the intersection of (big) data analysis and human behavior theories applied to socio-economic systems. Nowadays, my work focuses on computational social science and network science, particularly on hate speech dynamics, learning analytics, cooperative learning, higher education decision making, collective memory, and experimental game theory. I lead a FONDECYT project on Collective Memory and a FONDEF project project on data-driven decision-making for higher education, funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology and the Ministry of Education in Chile.
My background is physics (B.Sc., Eng., and M.Sc.) and Social Complexity Science (M.Sc. and Ph.D.).
- Long-term collaboration with strong friendship ties improves academic performance in remote and hybrid teaching modalities in high school physics.
Javier Pulgar, Diego Ramírez, Abigail Umanzor, Cristian Candia, and Iván Sánchez.
Published in Physical Review Physics Education Research 2022.
- Citizens at the forefront of the constitutional debate: Voluntary citizen participation determinants and emergent content in Chile.
María Paz Raveau,Juan Pablo Couyoumdjian,Claudio Fuentes-Bravo,Carlos Rodriguez-Sickert,Cristian Candia.
Published in Plos One 2022.
- Quantifying the selective forgetting and integration of ideas in science and technology.
Cristian Candia and Brian Uzzi.
Published in American Psychologist 2021.
- Resources & Media: Pousta
- Scaling behavior of public procurement activity.
António Curado, Bruno Damásio,Sara Encarnação, Cristian Candia, and Flávio L. Pinheiro.
Published in Plos One 2021.
- Resources & Media: Publico (Pt)
- Social networks and academic performance in physics: Undergraduate cooperation enhances ill-structured problem elaboration and inhibits well-structured problem solving.
Javier Pulgar, Cristian Candia, and Paul Leonardi.
Published in Physical Review Physics Education Research 2020.
- Strategic reciprocity improves academic performance in public elementary school children.
Cristian Candia, Victor Landaeta-Torres, César A. Hidalgo, and Carlos Rodriguez-Sickert.
Under Review 2021.
- The universal decay of collective memory and attention.
Cristian Candia, C. Jara-Figueroa, Carlos Rodriguez-Sickert, Albert-László Barabási, and César Hidalgo.
Published in Nature Human Behaviour 2019.
- The Higher Education Space: Connecting degree programs from individuals' choices.
Cristian Candia, Sara Encarnacao, and Flávio L. Pinheiro.
Published in EJP Data Science 2019.
- Understanding Water Disputes in Chile by Text and Data Mining tools.
Mauricio Herrera, Cristian Candia, , Diego Rivera, Douglas Aitken, Daniel Brieba, Camila Boettiger, Guillermo Donoso, and Alex Godoy-Faúndez.
Published in Water International 2019.
- Resources & Media: Book Chapter